In 1958, several local residents attended a meeting in the change rooms at Charles Riley Reserve with an Agenda to form a Lawn Bowls Club in the area. George Flick was elected President, JAH (Bill) Boyle Snr Vice President and Bernie Saunders elected Secretary. Prior to the establishing of a “Green”, members bowled on the turf of Charles Riley reserve and refreshed themselves at the Castle Hotel.
Due to the efforts of the Sub-Committee the members were allocated Lot 7 Swan Location 7063 in Kitchener Street North Beach to establish a Club House and Greens. To achieve this a successful application was made to the Perth Road Board for a grant of Twenty thousand pounds, on the proviso that the members raised Five hundred pounds. With Ladies being accepted as Associate members a Ladies Bowling Club was established in 1959 with Mrs Nora Donegan elected President, Grace McLean Secretary and Edna Boyle Treasurer.
A “Green” was laid in 1959 with voluntary labour by members and the Perth Roads Board, the Official opening was held in the 16th January 1960. Inter Club pennants commenced 1959/60 season, the Club entering two teams in Saturday Pennants. Due to the lack of facilities the 1960/61 and 1961/62 pennant home games were played at the Subiaco Bowling Club, members joining that Club as associates. The Club’s first achievement in Pennant competition was winning the Pennant of Division 4B in 1964/65. The Club has since that date been successful in attaining many more Divisional Pennants and 1st Division status both Mid-week and Saturday
During January 1972 the Club joined with several local Sporting Clubs to form the North Beach and Districts Sportsmen’s Club continuing as such until it reverted back to a Bowling Club in 1988, the status that it currently holds.
The Royal Western Australian Bowling Association honoured the Club by awarding it the “Club of the Year Trophy” for the achievements of the Committee and Club Members, both on and off the “Greens” during 1990/91.
The Club experienced considerable success on the greens during the 90’s with both the Men’s and Ladies performing well. The Men progressed to First Division Red for Saturday Pennants and in season 1996/97 were First Division Red Mid-week Pennant winners.
However during the 90’s the Club experienced a very large exodus of Members mainly to Retirement Villages further North. The substantial loss of members of course contributed to seriously affect the Club’s financial situation.
During season 2001/2002 the Club’s financial situation was considerably improved with worthwhile funds being forthcoming from major sponsors and then later, during 2002/2003, the Club’s premises being regularly made available and used for functions by outside parties.
At the close of season 2001/2002 Associate Membership for Ladies was cancelled and no longer became an option for membership of NBBC.
Prior to season 2002/2003 the Ladies, if desired, could transfer from Associate Membership or join as Ordinary (full) members. The season 2002/2003 with Associate members no longer being an option for membership of NBBC, saw all Men’s and Ladies with Ordinary (full) membership and relative fees being common, having and equal voice within the Club.
The amalgamation of RWABA and WALBA, which occurred during 2004/2005, provided a further reason for a long overdue re-write and modification of the Club’s constitution and By-Laws. This was eventually achieved for the commencement of season 2006/2007 and brought about true unification of Men’s and Ladies bowls for NBBC.
This re-write and modification of the Club’s constitution and By-Laws also provided for an additional category of membership of the Club (ie Social Bowling Members). These Members are capitated with Bowls WA and have access to the Club’s greens but are not entitled to participate in Club Championship or Club Pennant competition unless in the latter case an emergency to avoid a forfeit exists. They also have no voice in the management of the Club and are not eligible to hold office.
Our synthetic “Needle Punch” green was installed for the commencement of the 2009/2010 season and has proven to be a great boon for the Club, in particular enabling
continuous bowling during the winter months for members.
Season 2010/2011 saw the installation of a TAB in the Club and this attracted a considerable number of new Social Members from the local community. Bowling-wise, the Club had become a power on the greens with the Men maintaining a First Division Team for both Mid- week and Saturday pennants. In particular the Ladies Bowls had gone from strength to strength with the Ladies winning Premier League pennant in 2009/2010 season and being narrowly beaten for the 2010/2011 Premier League pennant. In 2010/2011 the Ladies also won the Saturday pennant in First Division Blue.
Installation and construction of a Sand Volleyball court on “D” green took place and commenced being used in the 2012/2013 season.
During 2011/2012 the City of Stirling undertook and upgrade of the Club’s Kitchen and the Kitchen began operating on a commercial basis. With an expansion of meals being served on a regular basis and attracting substantial growth in Social membership. We commenced a Friday night draw for a Membership number with prize jackpotting where not won with members required to be present to win. Other initiatives were also introduced (ie “Chase the Ace”) on Wednesday nights and a 2-4-2 bowling competition during the off season and this has further enhanced the financial position of the Club.
A new BBQ area was established during 2014/15 with two new BBQ’s and pitched roof cover allowing for outdoor functions to be held at the club.